Welcome to our "How To" series! We've seen an overwhelming demand from marijuana enthusiasts to learn more about the plant they love. This series aims to educate and inform on the various aspects of cannabis, from alternative ways to consume medical marijuana to a deeper understanding of recreational cannabis. Follow along to learn the ins, outs, and how to's of cannabis!
In the past few years dabbing has exploded in popularity as a new favorite way to consume cannabis. The intense effects of dabs provide quick relief for cannabis patients in severe pain. Dabs are also renowned for being too strong for many cannabis consumers, so proceed with caution. If you have marijuana flower, you can make a dab at home. This article will guide you through the safest way to make a dab.
What is a Dab?
A dab is a form of concentrated cannabis that can be inhaled from a dab rig or electronic vaporizer, sometimes called an e-rig. Dabs are made by extracting the cannabinoids and terpenes from cannabis flower. There are various ways to make dabs, and they come in different textures like wax, hash, shatter, and oil. Some methods of extraction use solvents like ethanol or butane, which leave behind toxic residue. The most straightforward and solvent-free approach to making dabs at home is by applying heat and pressure to cannabis flower to create rosin.
Benefits of Dabbing
The main appeal of dabbing is that it provides a stronger, faster high. The potent effects are especially beneficial for those suffering from chronic pain and serious illnesses. Dabbing might be less harmful to the lungs than smoking weed, especially if you use a vaporizer that allows you to control the temperature. And the vapor is more discreet and odorless than smoke.
How to Make a Dab
You can make a rosin dab at home using some basic supplies. The quality of your at-home dab will depend on the quality of your flower. When you buy cannabis flower at a dispensary, make sure it’s tested free of pesticides, and choose organic when it’s available.
What you need:
- Flat iron
- Parchment paper
- Cannabis flower
- Dab tool or safety pin
- Dab rig or concentrate vaporizer
- 1.) Fold a square of parchment paper in half.
- 2.) Put a 1/2 gram bud inside folded parchment paper.
- 3.) Preheat the flat iron to 275 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 4.) Place the folded parchment paper onto the flat iron plate.
- 5.) Press and hold the flat iron closed tight for 5 - 10 seconds.
- 6.) Release the flat iron and open it to see dabs of fresh-pressed rosin stuck to the parchment paper.
- 7.) Use the dab tool to remove dabs of concentrate.
- 8.) Heat dab rig or vaporizer.
- 9.) Place a dab on the hot nail and inhale vapor through the mouthpiece.
- 10.) That cannabis bud can be reheated to make more rosin dabs.
As always recommended, start low and go slow for safe and happy dabbing!
Get Your Medical Document & Purchase Medical Cannabis
It’s easy to get your medical document with the online Telehealth service HelloMD. Register, pay, and receive an online medical consultation with a licensed partitioner and purchase medical cannabis today.